Chronic psychiatric and medical problems are often caused by toxins derived from chronic infections, environmental exposures from the air, food and water, psychotropic drugs, medications, genetic vulnerabilities and gastrointestinal imbalances. Efforts to help patients detoxify can take up the lion’s share of the clinical time in an integrative medical practice.
Detoxification is a two-step process of oxidation and conjugation.
This is analogous to a two-step process that many people use to get rid of trash in their backyards, by first burning it (oxidation) and then carting it away (conjugation). In the body, toxins are first oxidized to make them reactive, and then conjugated to (connected to) certain molecules, which generally make the toxins more soluble in water and easier to excrete.
Here are a few simple things you can do to help your body’s attempts to rid itself of toxins.
* Sweat more—while exercising, in saunas or in the bathtub. Many toxins are removed through sweat. For baths, add a few cups of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate, which assists in the conjugation process) to hot bathwater and soak 30 minutes daily.
* Eat more detoxifying foods, such as garlic, onions, broccoli and parsley, which are high in sulfur, a toxin conjugator and take probiotics.
* Drink lots of purified water—three to four quarts a day.
* Eat plenty of fiber.
* Get genetically tested to determine if you are especially vulnerable to living in the modern age.
* See a biological or holistic dentist to get your mouth cleared up from toxic metals such as mercury amalgams (silver fillings).
* Adopt a routine lifestyle habit that includes consumption of organic food and filtered clean water, and avoidance of air pollution wherever possible.
* Minimize contact with Wi-Fi, microwaves and high power lines, and wear devices which decrease their biological harm to offer some protection.
If you are a health care provider or healer, since toxicity is the cause of so much disability, make it a routine activity in the care you provide to design a program to mitigate this exposure side of the equation.
The complete article is located here: naturalawakeningsdc.com/health/detoxing-life-staying-getting-healthy-toxic-world